Savings, Certificates & IRAs
Manage your savings the way you want to with IU Credit Union! Choose from a variety of savings options to find the right fit for your specific needs.
Establish membership and gain access to all of the products and services you'll enjoy as an IU Credit Union member.
- $5 minimum balance
- Dividends are compounded monthly and paid monthly
- Unlimited transactions free of charge
- Your membership savings can serve as overdraft protection for a checking account
- Nationwide access with no transaction charge through CO-OP Shared Branching
Money Market Savings
- Requires a minimum balance of $1,000—$10 monthly service charge if balance falls below $1,000 during the month.
- Requires a minimum balance of $0.01 to earn the Annual Percentage Yield.
- Unlimited transactions (deposits, loan payments, transfers or withdrawals) completed in person or by mail
- Maximum of six pre-authorized*, automatic or telephonic transfers (e.g. Bank-by-Phone or Online Banking) during a calendar month
*For money market savings accounts, you may not make more than six (6) withdrawals or transfers to another Credit Union account of yours or to a third party by means of a pre-authorized or automatic transfer, telephone order or instruction or similar order to a third party. If a transfer request would exceed the transfer limitations in any statement period, the Credit Union may refuse or reverse the transfer, and your account will be subject to suspension, charges or closure by the Credit Union. A preauthorized transfer includes any arrangement with the Credit Union to pay a third party from an account upon oral or written order, including orders received through ACH.
You may establish one or more additional savings accounts to set aside money for special reasons such as a vacation, Christmas, or any reason you choose.
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs)
IRAs are flexible and provide more incentives for saving.
The IU Credit Union offers various IRA saving and certificate options:
- Coverdell Education Savings Accounts (ESA)
If you're changing jobs and receiving a lump sum from a qualified retirement plan, consider rolling those funds into a Traditional IRA.
Certificates and IRA Certificates are available in terms of 6 months to 6 years and have varying rates.
Dividends on all certificates are compounded daily and paid monthly. Certificate dividends can be:
- Credited to the account of your choice
- Compounded back into the term share certificate
- IRA certificates can only compound or transfer to an IRA savings tied to the same plan
Terms of 1 year or less:
Early withdrawal penalty is 90 days' dividends or all dividends earned, whichever is less.
Terms greater than 1 year:
Early withdrawal penalty is 180 days' dividends or all dividends earned, whichever is less.
There is a 10 calendar day grace period after a certificate matures to redeem or make changes with no penalty.
A maturity notice will be sent shortly before the certificate matures. If no action is taken, the certificate will automatically be renewed at the dividend rate in effect on the renewal date. Automatic renewal does not apply to certificate specials, if available.